The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is looking for an outstanding individual, to serve as a Research Fellow on the Institute’s Green Economy projects.
Under the supervision of the Director of UNU-INRA, the Research Fellow will:
- Conduct research on green economy with focus on Public Private Partnership, value chain and financing;
- Develop research and training proposals for funding;
- Plan, organize and participate in national and sub-regional conferences/meetings/workshops;
- Prepare and publish research outputs in high quality publications, including peer-reviewed journals, extension and policy briefs; and
- Perform any other professional duties as may be required by the Director of UNU-INRA.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD or ABD in Development Economics, Environmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, Ecology, Resource Management, Forestry, Soil Sciences or a related discipline;
- At least two (2) years of relevant work experience beyond the Masters level, preferably in an international environment;
- Good computer application and modeling skills and use of statistical and econometrical packages;
- Good writing, presentation and communication skills; and demonstrated experience in organizing training workshops, conferences, and fundraising activities, as well as forging partnerships with international agencies, national institutions and NGOs;
- Fluency in oral and written English and good working knowledge of French is essential. Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and under tight deadlines; and
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Remuneration will commensurate with academic qualification and work experience according to the suitability of the candidate.
Duration of contract:
- The successful candidate shall work under the Consultant Contract (CTC) for a fixed period of twelve (12) months for the above-mentioned project. No consultant shall provide services for more than twenty-four (24) months in a thirty-six (36) –month period.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Deadline for Application: 30th December, 2015
Starting Date: 15th January, 2016.
Application Procedure: Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email (to email@example.com), and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- A curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- Full contact information of three (3) referees; and
- An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2015/UNU/INRA/RF/GE/01)