The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is currently implementing a one-year project on the development outcomes of public-private partnerships in agriculture and the environment, in six Sub-Saharan African countries: Cameroon, Burundi, Ghana, Mozambique, Senegal and South Africa. In line with this, UNU-INRA is looking for experienced country consultants to undertake data collection and rigorous analysis at the country level, in order to determine the landscape and the impacts of PPPs in the agricultural sector and the environment, using research tools developed for the project.
More specifically, the consultant is to:
- Identify and engage with key stakeholders involved in PPPs for agriculture and the environment in one of the selected SSA countries to discuss the project, collect appropriate data, and ensure their full participation in each phase of the research project;
- Analyse data to generate a well understanding of: (i) the landscape of PPPs that have emerged as well as their features; (ii) risks and opportunities associated to the development of PPP in agriculture and the environment; (iii) successes and failures of PPP projects thereby identifying drivers and success factors; (iv) private-public financing models that have emerged for PPPs in agriculture and the environment in the country;
- Compare and assess existing PPPs on the basis of their contribution to: (i) environmental sustainability; (ii) equitable access to land, (iii) enhanced local food security; (iv) inclusive youth and gender employment creation; (v) social cohesion and conflict resolution; (vi) innovation and technological advancement;
- Analyse socio-political and economic contexts of the country as well as its level of fragility and analyse how these factors influence or may influence structure, feasibility, performance and impacts of different PPPs models;
- Participate in a national dissemination workshop to discuss and validate the findings of the study in order to guide policies for PPPs and open a dialogue for further research.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Economics, Agricultural Economics Development Sciences, Governance, Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences, and any relevant field of study. PhD is preferred.
- Minimum of three years relevant experience in Agricultural development, Private sector development, Public-Private Partnership development, Environmental and social impact assessments;
- Practical experience in environmental sustainability, food security issue, youth and gender employment creation and private-public partnership is an asset.
- Currently living in one of the selected SSA countries (Cameroon, Burundi, Ghana, Mozambique, Senegal and South Africa) and affiliated to a university or a research institution within the country.
- Excellent command of one of the two official languages of UNU-INRA (English or French) and excellent report writing and communication skills.
Duration of contract
The successful candidate shall be based in his/her home country under the Consultant Contract (CTC) for a fixed period of five (5) months for the above-mentioned project.
1st August, 2015 or as soon as possible.
Mode of Applications
Please send applications to: email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 30th June 2015.
Kindly refer to the related tab for the French and English versions of the call. Applications from suitably qualified women candidates from developing countries are particularly encouraged.