February 16, 2021
The global Covid-19 pandemic has laid bare the fragility and vulnerability of social and economic systems across the world and has reinforced the need to prepare for future shocks and to build resilience. It is a timely reminder that Africa must ‘build forward better’, not only in recovery from Covid-19 but to meet the other global challenge of climate change.
A green transition is a choice that presents many opportunities for economic growth, job creation and livelihoods development.
This project, funded by BMZ, explores Africa’s development priorities, in the context of the new cycle of Africa-Europe partnership, and outlines ways in which the European Green Deal could be beneficial for both the EU and Africa.
The project makes use of a knowledge consortium including the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the African Union Commission (AUC), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Adelphi, African Development Bank (AfDB), GiZ and others.
Several knowledge products will be produced including a briefing note, policy briefs, and ep-eds.
The published op-eds can be found through the following links:
- Chambas et. al.– Greener Africa: Powering the Sahel with renewable electricity. https://www.theafricareport.com/42580/greener-africa-powering-the-sahel-with-renewable-electricity/
- Rose Mwebaza– Greener Africa: Women – The face of a digital and green revolution? https://www.theafricareport.com/43242/greener-africa-women-the-face-of-a-digital-and-green-revolution/
- Abdoulie Janneh – Good governance is the lynchpin for African progress. https://news.trust.org/item/20200929143222-lni7g
- Youba Sokona – Greener Africa: ‘It is scandalous that Africa has the world’s highest prevalence of hungry people’. https://www.theafricareport.com/44166/greener-africa-placing-food-security-at-the-heart-of-africas-green-recovery/
- David Luke and Lily Sommers– To build back better, make African trade greener. https://news.trust.org/item/20201005102659-85oyc
- Kako Nubukpo – Greener Africa: Time for ‘free trade but also fair trade with Europe’ – https://www.theafricareport.com/44897/greener-africa-time-for-free-trade-but-also-fair-trade-with-europe/
- Ibrahim Thiaw – Restoring land – with Europe’s help – can give Africa a greener future – https://news.trust.org/item/20201023132115-ltkqy
- Ameenah Gurib-Fakim – Can the EU Green Deal help boost Africa’s green and digital transformation? – https://news.trust.org/item/20201106104153-bnym9
- Camilla Toulmin – How to green Africa from the grassroots https://news.trust.org/item/20201120160620-p1rt2/