April 24, 2015 Accra
The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is currently looking for an outstanding individual, with strong commitment and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the activities of UNU-INRA, to fill the position of Research and Administrative Assistant.
Reporting to and under the supervision of the Director of UNU-INRA, the Research and Administrative Assistant will perform a wide range of office support and administrative functions. These will include:
- Respond or draft responses to routine correspondence and other communications; use standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Monitor processes and schedules related to the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assist in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Generate a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases.
- Proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Screen phone calls and visitors; respond to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answer requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refer inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Provide secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
- Assist in the maintenance of website by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Maintain calendar/schedules; monitor changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Perform data entry and extraction functions.
- Review, record, distribute and/or process mail and other documents; follow-up on impending actions.
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; monitor, prepare and distribute various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handle arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinate shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Perform general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Provide guidance to less experienced staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, etc.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor of Sciences (Bsc) in Administration, Natural Resources Management or Environmental Sciences
- At least two years working experience in successful implementation of programs in public, donor funded programs, private or NGO sectors.
- Excellent interpersonal, and leadership skills, demonstrate the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and with own initiative in a complex environment with multiple tasks and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to carry out office administrative responsibilities, and make project implementation arrangements.
- Good writing, presentation and communication skills; and demonstrated experience in organizing training workshop and conference activities.
- Good working knowledge of English is essential; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Good Excel spreadsheet skills and experience in using ERP systems like PeopleSoft Financials system is advantageous.
Remuneration will commensurate with academic qualification and work experience according to the suitability of candidates.
Duration of contract:
The successful candidate shall work under the Consultant Contract (CTC) for a fixed period of twelve (12) months for the above-mentioned project. No consultant shall provide services for more than twenty-four (24) months in a thirty-six (36) –month period.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Starting date: By July 1, 2015
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by e-mail (to firstname.lastname@example.org ) or mail, and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- a full contact information of three referees; and
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2015/UNU/INRA/CTC/TA/32).